for patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) and other fibrotic diseases.
Karos Pharmaceuticals is a start-up company focused on the selective modulation of peripheral serotonin synthesis.
We are pursuing Therapeutic opportunities in diseases associated with inflammation, tissue remodeling/fibrosis, and vasoconstriction.
Emerging science reveals an important role of dysregulated peripheral serotonin in pathologies associated with tissue fibrosis and inflammation. Karos is developing first-in-class small molecules for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension remains a serious medical need despite the recent approval of several therapies
- All current medications predominantly reduce vasoconstriction and provide symptomatic relief
- PAH treatment is a major unmet medical need with poor life expectancy post diagnosis
The Pathology of PAH
Pulmonary arterial hypertension is characterized by substantial remodeling of the pulmonary arterioles and formation of plexiform lesions, causing a restriction of blood flow to the lungs, increased pulmonary arterial blood pressure and right ventricle hypertrophy and eventual mortality due to right ventricle heart failure.
- To achieve longer term benefits, therapies must target the underlying disease-remodeling using novel pathways
- While remaining safe and well-tolerated, innovative medications would be efficacious as monotherapy or in combination with standard of care